Plenty to do in Durango!
It might be snowing this morning but there are telltale signs that Summer is Coming. The phone is ringing with new reservations, we’re getting ready for our spring spruce up and potential guests ask, “what is there to do in Durango?” … It’s difficult to pick only 10, but here goes. Our Top Ten Reasons to Visit Durango are….
10. Live Music – To say there’s something for everyone is an understatement. You can choose from all types of melodies such as: the summer concert series – Music in the Mountains, or local’s favorite – Music in the Park at Buckley Park. Also a favorite among our guests is the Burger and a Band Summer Concert Series at James Ranch. You can sit on the lawn, munch a burger and listen to some great music!
9. Hike the Trails – Take an alpine hike in the summer and check out the brilliant colors of Columbines and Lupines, native wildflowers galore. In autumn, the orange and golden hues of Aspen trees are magnificent. For the truly adventurous, our famed Colorado 14ers await you. If hiking is in your blood and you’ve never been to the Four Corners, you are missing out on something special.
8. Heaven on Horseback – There’s no argument that Colorado has miles and miles of jaw-dropping scenery: majestic mountains to magical forests, even high desert mesas. One of my favorite ways to view this awesome landscape is on horseback. Durango has endless possibilities for the equestrian lover. Bring your own horse or try one of our local guides such as Rapp Corral.
Fly-fishing Nirvana …
7. Fishing – Fly-fishing rules around Durango because, after all, there’s plenty of Gold Medal water! You can float the Animas River or take on The San Juan for Brownies and Rainbow. However, if lake fishing is more your style, there’s always the short trip to Lemon Reservoir or Vallecito Lake. You can almost always snag a monster Pike … and that’s not a fish tale!
6. Local Libations – Durango might be a small town but we have 6 micro breweries, a distillery and nearby wineries. Known as “The City of Brewery Love”, our breweries have won quite a few gold medals at various competitions around the world. One of the newer additions is Durango Craft Spirits and as they tell it, “Durango’s first legal Grain to Glass Distillery since Prohibition”! If wine is more your thing, head over to Four Leaves Winery in Downtown Durango for a delightful evening of wine tasting or with assistance from their wine experts you can even craft your own wine!
No Top Ten List is Complete Without …
5. Ziplining – Soaring Tree Top Adventures, ranked #1 for Durango Outdoor Adventures, is truly a once in a lifetime experience. You start your day with a 32-mile ride on their private rail car on the DSNGR and once you arrive at their private depot, you are treated to one of the best experiences you can hope for … this definitely should be on your Bucket List!
4. Historic Downtown Durango – The spirit of the Old West lives on in Durango. During the summer months the Old West comes alive as cowboys battle it out in the street with old time gunfights and sometimes even the ladies from the Diamond Belle Saloon join in! There are restaurants for every palate; pubs, and breweries galore. Shopping abounds as well. There are resale shops, high end boutiques, galleries and the requisite souvenirs shops. If you’re hankering for some jewelry, there are some of the best Native American designers represented here.
Perennial Favorites for Everyone’s Top Ten …
3. Mesa Verde National Park – just west of Durango lies Mesa Verde, an authentic national treasure and home to the Ancient People of the Southwest. You can hike around cliff dwellings, take a tour through them or peruse the caves complete with centuries old paintings. Hike to the top of the park and gaze off to distant vistas. This is truly a sight not to miss. Make sure to sign up early for your tour to ensure you get your #1 choice.
2. Ride the Rails – Railroad fans come from far and wide to experience the Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, the Grandaddy of historic trains and a perennial top ten fave. The DSNGR has been in continuous operation since 1882. As the train winds through the remote wilderness you will re-live a days gone by era traveling in a steam-powered locomotive. Sit back and imagine miners and settlers heading up the mountain to their new lives in Silverton, Colorado.
… I suppose we’re biased …
#1 in our Top Ten reasons to visit Durango is …
1. Antlers on the Creek! You will enjoy every moment during your stay here at Durango’s #1 Bed & Breakfast on Trip Advisor. Our Guests come for a holiday and leave as friends. Our motto is “Prepare to be Pampered” and each and every staff member is here to make this your most memorable vacation imaginable. Call us at 970.259.1565 to book a stay at our B & B, recently chosen as #7 B & B in the USA!